Being Italian means that spaghetti and meatballs is basically in my blood lol, but since going vegetarian and really focusing on my diet/health I’ve been searching for alternatives. I have a recipe for Black Bean Burgers that I love so I decided to adapt that recipe for these chickpea meatballs. They’re super easy to make, kinda taste like tacos, are healthy and a good alternative if you’re vegetarian.
What You’ll Need:
I use all organic foods, but feel free to use which ever kind you like.
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup of ground flax seed meal
- Zoodles (you can buy a zucchini and do this with a vegetable spiralizer as well)
- Marinara Sauce
- Any spices you’d like to add to the chickpeas (for this, I didn’t add any, it depends on my mood)
What To Do:
- Open your can of chickpeas, drain and rinse.
- Pour chickpeas into a bowl and begin mashing with a fork.
- Once fully mashed, add in your 1/2 cup of ground flaxseed.
- Mix throughly and begin forming your meatball shape (if too much flaxseed go ahead and add 1-2 tablespoons of water, you want the mixture to be hard, but able to form and stay in shape).
- Spray a pan with coconut oil or any cooking oil you like and begin cooking your chickpea meatballs (they are very fragile so be careful when turning them over, they will break a tiny bit).
- Once the meatballs are done, open up your zoodles and place into a bowl with your marinara sauce. Heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes (zucchini is fine in the microwave for 30 seconds, it depends how hot you like your food and sauce to be).
- Throw everything into a bowl and enjoy!
These chickpea meatballs are so amazing! Definitely don’t taste anything like regular Italian meatballs, but for me they do the job. I highly recommend at least giving these a try. They’re super easy to make and require little service! Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy this recipe!