I cannot believe I am entering my 4th year of college! It feels like yesterday that I graduated high school! I have always been a good student and focused on my studies so I’ve accumulated some tips and tricks that have helped me stay motivated and on track with my work. Trust me, I know the school year can start off well and turn into a downfall by Thanksgiving, but if you follow these tips you will succeed the whole semester and stay on track till the end!
Good luck on the 2018 Fall semester!
- Study your syllabus/class outline. This is so important and often forgotten. Syllabus week is super essential for kicking off your back to school routine! Everything important for that class will be listed on your syllabus, so study it. It’ll help keep you on track!
- Actually read your textbooks/notes! This is honestly the hardest one. No one wants to read a boring old textbook, but honestly every time I read the chapter before class I’m more focused because I know what my professor is talking about during the lecture. So read that textbook, no matter how boring, it’ll help you I promise.
- Budget your study/homework time. Get yourself a planner and figure out the days/times you can study and do homework in between class. If you have a job, make sure that job schedule doesn’t overlap and interfere with school. Work is important don’t get me wrong, but education is the greatest success not money.
- Find a study playlist. This is something I’ve done only recent and I wish I had found it sooner. There are hundreds of Focus playlists on Spotify, pick one and play it low while you study! My favorite is Chill Lofi Study Beats.
- Don’t be afraid of using office hours. I don’t know why so many students are afraid of office hours. When did doing things for success become lame? Utilize your professor office hours! They are there to help you, even if it’s just for one question! No question is ever silly, ask away!