Living a healthy lifestyle is the most wanted thing nowadays. Not necessarily fit, just healthy. Everyone wants to live that healthy lifestyle and be the best version of themselves. Sometimes though, that can be hard. I definitely have first hand experience with this, because I know that losing weight can be extremely challenging. I have been stuck at the same weight for a long time, but I still maintain a healthy lifestyle even though the results are slower than a snail.
How to stay healthy when you aren’t seeing fast results can be so difficult. Giving up is so much easier right? Wrong. If you were to give up, all your hard work will go to waste. At this point you’re probably saying “but, what hard work if I’m not seeing results?” If you aren’t seeing results there could be a few things you’re doing wrong. I am here to give my advice/experience to help you stay healthy when you aren’t seeing fast results.
- Talk to your doctor. This is always my #1, if you aren’t seeing fast results or any results at all you should speak to your doctor. Get tested for thyroid, diabetes etc. It’s possible you have something and don’t know about it. Also ask them about how many calories you should be eating a day to lose weight, they may redirect you to a nutritionist. Don’t feel embarrassed to see a nutritionist, their job is to help you be healthy.
- Google or ask your doctor how to track calories and download an app. One of my favorites is MyFitnessPal. It makes tracking food/calories super easy and shows you the nutritional value of that food more clearly than on the label.
- Find a workout that works for you. Not every workout is going to be for you. I hate intense cardio, and running. My favorite workouts are weight training, pilates and yoga. Will I sometimes do a HIIT workout (high intensity interval training)? Yes, because you burn an insane amount of calories in a short period of time.
- Find your inspiration/workout partner. Your workout partner doesn’t need to physically be there with you. I usually go to the gym with my mom or a friend, but when I don’t the Tone It Up girls are my partners! I also love doing their workouts, especially from my home. Another way to get inspired is to lookup fitness gurus on Youtube! They are full of tips, tricks and all sorts of great things to help you stay healthy!
- Do at least 20-30 mins of cardio every day. I typically go to the gym 4-5 times out of the week, where I warm up with 20-30 mins of cardio on the treadmill or elliptical. This will get your heart pumping and cause you to burn calories. When I am not at the gym, or doing a HIIT workout, I will go for a walk. Walking is still a form of cardio and is actually relaxing. I love going for a Sunday walk, or honestly going to Target because I’ll most likely be there for 2 hours wandering, to get some cardio in lol.
- Don’t call it a diet, it’s a lifestyle change. If you’re going to be fully committed and invested you have to think of this as a lifestyle change. I made the lifestyle decision 1 year ago, to become a pescatarian (vegetarian who eats fish). I eat no meat or poultry and the only fish I eat is shrimp and crab when in my sushi. I am dairy free for the most part. If something has dairy in it, I will eat it, but I eat yogurt made from almond milk and I put almond milk in my coffee and cereal. I try to eat at least 4 servings of vegetables everyday and have dark leafy greens at least once a day whether it be in a salad or a smoothie. You have to find what works for you and do that, don’t try to copy someone else because then it really won’t work. Every body is different.