I’ve said it in all my previous Holiday posts, and I’ll say it again, the best thing to bring to a holiday party is always dessert! Every one loves dessert, it’s the best part of a meal! Even if someone isn’t the biggest fan of it, they will always have one thing they love, for my brother that’s vanilla ice-cream, Oreos and sugar cookies. My mom found this huge glass trifle bowl hiding in a closet in the house, and she told me “do something with this” lol, so that’s when I took to Pinterest and came across this recipe for a Candy Cane Brownie Trifle. It sounded Christmasy enough so I just had to recreate it! In this post, I’m going to be recreating this recipe for you! It’s actually really easy so don’t be intimidated!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 pan of baked brownies (I used a box mix, feel free to make homemade brownies!)
- 6 ounces (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 and 1/4 cup half and half
- 3/4 sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup crushed candy canes (I didn’t measure this exactly, I crushed as many as I thought be needed).
- Brownie pan
- Medium sized pot
- Mixing bowl
- Hand or electric mixer
- Trifle bowl or individual bowls
What To Do:
- Make your brownies and bake as directed according to box or homemade recipe.
- While the brownies are baking, take a medium sized pot and combine chocolate chips and the 3 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Cook and stir until completely melted.
- Add in 1 and 1/4 cups half and half, 3/4 cup sugar, and corn syrup. Bring to a light boil over medium heat and let that boil for about 8 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool for a minute or two, or until it stops bubbling.
- Pour in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract to the chocolate sauce and set aside to let cool to room temperature, if in a rush place this in freezer for a few minutes.
- Remove brownies from the oven and cool completely. Cut brownies into bite-size chunks and set aside.
- While brownies cool, in a mixing bowl combine 2 cups cream, powdered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract. Using your hand or electric mixer, beat with the beaters on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- In your trifle bowl or individual bowls, layer brownie chunks, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and crushed candy canes alternately, ending with whipped cream and candy canes.
- Serve immediately for the brownies will get extremely soggy if not.
This recipe has been adapted from The Food Charlatan.
Mine ended up not being enough to fill my Trifle bowl (I needed more brownies) so it turned into a mush, but it still tasted amazing and everyone loved it! This recipe is super easy to make and tastes delicious. My favorite part is the brownie (of course) with the peppermint chocolate sauce on top! So good, I’ll probably make that by itself as a dessert again! I hope you all enjoyed this and got a great idea for an easy dessert for your holiday celebration! Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays everyone!